The 17th of May Seattle committee has planned multiple events to celebrate Norwegian Constitution Day, an official National Day in Norway. Among Norwegians, the day is referred to simply as “Syttende Mai” (17th of May) or Grunnlovsdagen (The Constitution Day).
The festivities occur throughout Seattle’s historically Nordic neighborhood of Ballard. A formal luncheon will be held at the National Nordic Museum (2655 NW Market Street) from 11:30am to 2pm and includes music, special toasts, and remarks from the 17th of May Parade’s Grand Marshal, Norway’s Ambassador to the United States Anniken R. Krutnes, and the Honorary Marshals from the Pacific Fishermen Shipyard. In addition to the luncheon, the Museum will also host the parade’s visiting Norwegian Fjord horses and the kiddy “Nordic Express” rides in the parking lot as well as other youth activities from 10am-2pm.
There will be live traditional music at Ballard’s Bergen Place Park (22nd Avenue NW) from 2pm-5pm accompanied by delicious traditional Pølse med lompea (Norwegian hot dog wrapped in lefse) from Scandinavian Specialties. Guests are also invited to the local Leif Erikson Lodge (2245 NW 57th St) from 1pm-5pm for Scandinavian treats, coffee and live music.
Since 1889, the Norwegian-American community of Seattle has celebrated 17th of May. With the addition of a large-scaled community parade in 1974, this event has proudly become one of the largest celebrations outside of Oslo and Bergen.
Tuesday, May 17 (All Events)
Bergen Place Musical Entertainment | 22nd Ave NW & NW Market Street
Is free and open to the public. Come, relax, and enjoy! For the hungry, Ballard’s Scandinavian Specialties will be selling traditional Norwegian hot dogs (pølse and lompe) and refreshing Solo orange soda
- 2pm The Winter Family Band - old-time Norwegian favorites
- 3pm • Norwegian Ladies Chorus
- 3:30pm • Combined Choruses for National Anthems.
- 3:30pm • Norwegian Male Chorus.
- 4pm • Special Guests Sunnie and Leif Accordion Duo
National Nordic Museum | 2655 NW Market Street
Museum is open for visitors ($20 adults, $16 seniors, $10 youth (5-18), children 5 & under free)
- 11:30pm-2pm: Official 17th of May Formal Luncheon in Osberg Great Hall. Purchase tickets at 17thofmay.org
- 10am-2pm: Visit the Norwegian Fjord Horses and free “Nordic Express” mini train rides (parking lot)
- 10am-3pm: Free 17th of May youth activities (Museum’s craft room)
Leif Erikson Hall | 2245 NW 57th Street.
Syttende Mai Open House
- 1pm-5pm: Scandinavian foods, and festive entertainment. Full details at www.leiferiksonlodge.org/events-and-activities
17th of May Ballard Parade
To participate in the parade visit 17thofmay.org for rules and regulations.
- 4pm: Check-in station opens at 28th Ave NW (just North of Adams Elementary)
- 6pm-8pm: The Historic 17th of May Parade marches through Ballard, down Market Street, turning at Ballard Avenue, and ending at Ione.