This traditional cookie makes a lovely addition to your fika at any time of the year.
Princess Gems - Swedish
Contributed by Marianne Livingstone and Carina Halgren to Tasty Traditions
- 1 c. shortening
- ½ c. butter
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baker’s ammonia
- 2½ c. flour
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- About ½ c. powdered sugar
Sharon’s and Gail's notes on ingredients:
You can find Baker’s ammonia at Scandinavian Specialties in Seattle. We recommend Bob’s All-Purpose White Flour for this recipe.
Instructions for baking:
- Cream shortening and butter
- Add sugar and cream again
- Mix flour with baker’s ammonia
- Add mixed dry ingredients to creamed ingredients
- Mix dry and creamed ingredients
- Stir in coconut
- Form into balls the size of small walnuts
- Bake on greased (or parchment paper) cookie sheet at 350° 17-20 minutes until just beginning to turn golden
- When cool, dust with powdered sugar
Sharon’s and Gail's notes on instructions:
You can use a 1 tsp. or 1½ tsp cookie scoop to form the individual cookies. This makes about 11 dozen smaller scoop cookies or 7 dozen larger scoop cookies.