Danish paper cutting artist Torben Jarlstrøm Clausen has had several paper cut workshops in Denmark, Japan, and the US. The paper-cut universe of Torben Jarlstrøm Clausen is inhabited by beings who have previously been confined inside the paper. At that time the beings were weighed down by their own and ambient limitations.
In this online workshop, the participants can experience the very best of cutting paper – namely the moment when the paper is unfolded and the magic occurs – that is when the happy paper cut being emerges. Participants will also be exploring the paper cut artwork of renowned storyteller Hans Christian Andersen, and hear about Torben Jarlstrøm Clausen’s own journey to becoming a paper cutting artist.
Students should supply their own materials so they can cut along with Torben:
- A sharp pair of scissors.
- Paper that is approximately the same thickness as printer paper.
- Approximately 5 pieces of paper that are approximately 4 x 4 inches.
- Approximately 5 pieces of paper that are about 1 x 2 inches.
- Color according to students’ own wishes.
Skill Level: Beginner and beyond